The cold weather isn’t here yet, but there’s a definite chill in the air. Winter can be a very expensive season between heating costs and other winter-related expenses. While you can’t heat your home for free, you can reduce your costs by taking some simple steps ahead of the heating season. Here are some tips from the heating and cooling experts at Boehmer Heating & Cooling.
- Have a ceiling fan installed – it may seem like a small thing to do, but using a ceiling fan can make your home feel 2-3 degrees warmer because the air is better circulated and mixed. Just make sure the fan’s setting is for heat.
- Use a programmable thermostat – if you haven’t yet taken advantage of a programmable thermostat, it’s time to do so. A programmable thermostat allows you to set a heating program that will power your system up and down at the times you need it. The convenience means you won’t have to worry about forgetting to turn your thermostat up or down, and the programming will help you save energy.
- Hang winter drapes – winter drapes can block off drafts from windows while also adding a nice decorative touch to your home.
- Make sure your heating system has been maintained – for every year your heating system isn’t maintained, it loses 5% of its overall efficiency. You’ll see this inefficiency reflected in your monthly utility bills.
- Set temperatures according to EPA suggestions – it’s all well and good to have a programmable thermostat, but programming won’t do you much good if your temperatures are something close to tropical. The EPA outlines recommendations for winter temperature settings so that you can stay comfortable without using too much energy.
Winter is getting closer each day. If you are looking for ways to save on this season’s heating in Bethel Park, PA, give us a call today!