Boilers are a terrific heating system for your home in Pittsburgh and are one of the most popular heating systems in the United States. They offer reliable and comfortable heat for your home. When you start to think about getting a boiler installed there are a number of important considerations to take into account. At Boehmer Heating & Cooling we’ve installed countless boiler systems. We thought that it would be helpful if we put together a list of some of the most common considerations before you have a new boiler installed in your home.
Boiler Efficiency Rating
One of the most important considerations is the efficiency of your new boiler. Difference heating systems receive different efficiency ratings. Boilers are given an annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) rating. This rating describes the percentage of fuel that is actually converted into usable heat. For example, some older boilers and furnaces have an AFUE rating of 60%. This means that 60% of the fuel consumed is turned into heat while the other 40% is wasted. Newer systems can have an AFUE rating of 95% and higher. Obviously, you want to get the most efficient system possible. Normally, the efficiency rating is noted on the side of the unit.
Depending on your home and where you live, you may want to think about the type of fuel that your boiler will use. If you have a natural gas line coming into your, perhaps for a water heater, you can have it piped to your boiler as well. But if you don’t have a gas line, it would probably make more sense to install one that uses oil.
Size of the Boiler
The physical size of the boiler is another thing you should think about before you have it installed. You want to make sure that you have the physical space for the new unit.
The final thing to think about is who you want to install your new boiler. You should always have a professional heating contractor come to your home to finish the installation. Improper installation is one of the most common sources of problems for our customers in the Pittsburgh area. You want your heating system to start off on the right foot.
If you have any questions about our boiler installation services in Pittsburgh, give Boehmer Heating & Cooling a call. We have experience working with all types and brands of boilers. Contact us today!