When your air conditioner malfunctions or breaks down, it can be easy to jump to the worst conclusions:
- The compressor blew!
- A fan motor is shot!
- My whole system is a mess!
Sometimes, it can be this: the thermostat.
Thermostats are sensitive instruments, and because they control when your air conditioner cycles, problems with it can look like a lot of other (potentially bad) things. If you’ve ruled out the possibility of other problems, it may be time to focus your air conditioning repair in Pittsburgh on your thermostat, with the help of a trained professional from Boehmer Heating & Cooling.
Signs of Problems with Your Thermostat
There are a few signs that your thermostat may be malfunctioning:
- Short cycling – your system is turning on and off too much and not achieving target temperatures
- Large temperature swings – you are seeing wild temperature swings in your home without changing the temperature
- Won’t turn on at all – your AC won’t start
Common Causes of Thermostat Problems
As we stated above, thermostats are sensitive instruments, so even small things can alter their proper operation. Here are some common causes of thermostat malfunction:
- Dirt and dust – dirt and dust can easily get inside your thermostat, and when they make a home on the instrumentation, they can interfere with the workings of the entire thermostat. The removal of dirt and dust requires a delicate cleaning of the inside and outside of the thermostat.
- Thermostat isn’t level – to operate properly, a thermostat needs to be level and at least 5 feet up from your floor. Otherwise, the orientation affects the readings, and the cooler temperature of the floor (unless you have radiant heat) can contribute to an incorrect reading.
- Loose wires – faulty connections with the wires can cut off the power to the thermostat, or make the power flow intermittently, disrupting operation.
Thermostat repairs are best handled by a professional, and it’s important to make them as quickly as possible before the issues can cause more problems. If you need thermostat or any other air conditioning repair in Pittsburgh, be sure to call the company that has been around for 80 years: Boehmer Heating & Cooling.