Air Conditioning System Replacement
At a certain point in the lifespan of your air conditioning system, replacement might become necessary. It happens to all air conditioners eventually. Parts and motors wear out, the casing erodes, or it simply doesn’t have the necessary energy efficiency your home and energy budget require.
Boehmer Heating & Cooling takes AC replacement in the Pittsburgh area very seriously because we know your new unit will be used for years to come. Our product offerings are chosen carefully to provide a variety of different sizes, installation methods, and cooling levels. Here are some factors you should keep in mind when making the decision about replacing your current air conditioner.
Did you know that older homes tend to have oversized HVAC systems? Especially if you have made your home more energy efficient by adding more insulation or new windows, your current air conditioning system might be much larger than you need. If you are replacing your air conditioning system, don’t just get a unit with the same capacity as your old model, have a professional do a load calculation on your home to determine the size you need.
Most people don’t go out and pick up a new air conditioner on a whim. There are usually circumstances that lead to the need for a new cooling unit. It’s also important to recognize potential warning signs that your air conditioner is on its last legs. Here are a few red flags you should keep an eye out for:
- Inconsistency: If the basement is a sauna and the third floor is an ice skating rink, it could be a thermostat issue or it could be your air conditioner starting to lose its edge. Not only does an aging model cause inconsistent cooling, it can send your energy bills through the roof. Replacing your air conditioning system will almost always lead to more energy efficiency, leading to reduced costs.
- Age: Old air conditioners wear out. It’s a natural part of the appliance life cycle. On top of reduced efficiency, older air conditioners (anything beyond 10 years) will have lower efficiency than modern, high energy–efficiency models. Especially if you know you’ll need a new unit within a couple years, the savings you’ll gain from replacing your air conditioner now may be enough to warrant moving up the replacement date. Never underestimate how nice a quieter, more efficient unit will be.
- Humidity: Old or decreasingly efficient cooling systems will start to churn out excess humidity in many rooms as well. It can be a result of reduced cooling capacity or it could be due to a broken part in the core unit.
- Noisiness: Old machines will start to grow noisier as well. Sometimes, this is a result of overdue maintenance, but in some extreme cases it can be a sign that your motor is wearing down or that the machine simply cannot keep up with your cooling needs any longer.
- Increase in cost: Watch those energy bills. When you see them starting to spike in the midst of the hottest summer months, more so than they ever did before, it could easily be a result of an old, out of date machine starting to fail. Not only does the increased cost signal a drop–off in cooling efficiency, it generally serves as a warning sign that your machine is about to break and needs to be replaced. Don’t wait for your air conditioner to completely break down–jump on the problem now.
There are many reasons you might consider air conditioning system replacement. When you do make the decision that your old unit just isn’t cutting it any longer, give Boehmer a call.
Our team of expert, highly trained Pittsburgh area cooling experts can help you determine if your cooling system is really ready for replacement or if it simply needs a good round of service and cleaning. Sometimes, symptoms of age are merely the result of being overdue for maintenance. Rest assured that you will receive top notch service and the best prices from our expertly trained technicians.